The 2022 Commonwealth Games had the largest integrated parasport programme ever in the history of the competition.
Whilst the growth of parasport at an elite level has been fantastic to see, girls and women with disabilities still face discrimination when it comes to sport and exercise.
Now the excitement of the 2022 Games is over the focus has to be on what legacy it can achieve.
On this episode Sarah is joined by former Paralympic swimmer and BBC broadcaster Kate Grey and Emma Wiggs MBE who is a double Paralympic gold medal winner and ten-time World Champion para canoeist!
We talk about:
- How the Commonwealth Games has given parasport a stage and how that’s inspired more girls into sport.
- Why para sport must be able to grow as an event in its own right.
- How media has changed the narrative around performance and disability.
- How schools and coaches can foster a more inclusive environment for girls with a disability.
- How we can all play a part in breaking down barriers to activity for disabled women and girls.
Thank you to our podcast sponsor CSM Live