- Women participating have strong social networks, are fiercely independent and want to have control over their own lives. The enablers or influencers to participation are generally friends or neighbours.
- For the inactive women, being sociable is not part of their norm. They have few influencers encouraging and supporting them to be active.
- The experience of getting older or a health condition can trigger participation.
- Many women do not identify with being an older woman or disabled
- Frequently, inactive women expressed a desire to do more but felt limited by their physical capabilities.