- Men are twice as likely to volunteer in sport as women.
- Men are more likely to take on leadership volunteering roles while women are more likely to volunteer in ‘support’ and ‘behind the scenes’ roles.
- Barriers include a lack of confidence, gender discrimination and a lack of visible role models.
- Different motivations: Men are motivated by their interest in sport and ‘perks’ associated with volunteering, whereas women are motivated to develop their career, build social networks and to support their children.
- Women value flexible volunteering that can fit around their lives.